We’re all trying to take better care of ourselves.
Most of us are well aware that a proper diet, that is based on your unique body type is the best way to take care of your physical, chemical body. (unless you’ve been living in a cave for the last 10 years!)
However, for most people, eating ideally 100% of the time is difficult. Life and work demands, tends to keep us from taking care of ourselves.
So, one of the ways that many of us support our poor diet, to ensure we try to stay healthy, is with supplements.
But, is this really the most effective and safest way to improve your health?
“The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention say, that more than half of U.S. adults use dietary supplements — including multivitamins, minerals and herbs.
That rise, from 42% in 1988 to 53% in 2006, has fueled the growth of the supplement industry to a $27 billion behemoth, according to Consumer Reports.
Dietary supplements are not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the same way as drugs. The makers do not, have to prove safety or effectiveness.
“There’s a false perception that supplements fall under the same regulatory umbrella as prescription drugs,” said Dr. Orly Avitzur, medical adviser for Consumer Reports. “That’s not the case.”” According to CNN Health
Do you really know how effective and safe your supplements are?
Here are the three main factors that control how effective and safe, your supplements are;
1. How they are produced/manufactured,
2. How healthy your digestive system is and
3. How bioavailable or absorbable they are.
First, let’s look at how they are manufactured.
Many of the supplements on the market today, are actually more harmful than good.
Most supplements that are mass produced, are full of toxic preservatives and fillers.
Along with, a predetermined mix of chemically derived, synthetic vitamins and minerals. Which, are more apt to cause an imbalance, than support you.
When buying supplements I highly suggest you read the labels very carefully and avoid ones that are produced with these toxins and fillers;
1. Flow agents such as; magnesium Stearate, and stearic acid are added to supplements to keep them from getting stuck in the machinery, making processing faster. These are created from hydrogenated cottonseed oil, which is sprayed heavily with pesticides, as well as being genetically modified (GMO).
They have also been linked to many health issues. Research has shown that stearic acid suppresses T cells—your natural killer cells, which weakens your immune system.
2. Genetically Modified Ingredients. Many ingredients in common supplements are genetically modified; Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid (also called vitamin C, but it’s not real vitamin C and is driven from GM corn), Sodium Ascorbate, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Ethanol, Flavourings (“natural” and “artificial”), Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum. To name a few.
3. Fillers and binding agents such as; silicon dioxide, methylcellulose, titanium dioxide, carrageenan,
4. “Natural flavours,” a term often used for MSG, a toxic additive, used to make the toxic, poorly made supplement taste more palatable!
5. Preservatives such as; Sodium benzoate and BHT, which are preservatives added to supplements, to keep them fresh and prevent harmful bacteria from growing. Both Sodium benzoate and BHT can damage human DNA and cause gastric and bladder cancer as well as many liver problems.
This list is certainly not exhausted, however, it gives you a great look at the ugly side of the supplemental “industry”.
Whether you are looking to improve your health or simply maintain the level of health you have. It is important to become a more conscious and well informed consumer.
Here are my recommendations to help you make better choices when purchasing your supplements;
1. Buy only supplements that are created from whole food sources. Do not buy prefabricated multi-vitamins that are synthetic. If they are hard packed tablets, they have toxins!
2. Look for products that clearly state they are “Non GMO”.
3. Look for products that support GMP or Good Manufacturing Processes. Also companies that are conscientious of the environment, are organic or wildcrafted.
4. The most utilizable form, are either liquid, powder or sublingual (see chart below), which is loose or contained in vegetable capsules.
5. Finally my own rule of thumb is, if I can’t read the label or pronounce the ingredient, I don’t ingest it!
There are more and more reputable companies coming into the market, who actually care about your health, and the way in which they create their supplements.
Here is my absolute favourite supplement right now, because it meets all the necessary requirements of being; super clean, whole food and bio-available with a 100% immediate absorption rate!
Now let’s discuss absorption; which, encompasses the health of your digestive system and some possible reasons you may not be absorbing your nutrients.
Here is a chart, showing the simple absorption rate of different supplemental forms.
Not only, is the bio-availability of the supplement an issue, so too is the ability of your body to assimilate the nutrients in that supplement.
If you are over the age of 30 and have never done a detox or cleanse; if you are following the “Standard North American” diet; then the odds are, you are not digesting and assimilating fully, any of the nutrients you are putting in your body.
All of which is a leading factor in your declining health as you age!
When you take a pre-fabricated, chemically created supplement, like “One a Day“, Not only, are you not absorbing most of the “so-called” vitamins. You are also taking in the toxic incipients stated above. As well as, possibly creating an imbalance by taking a predetermined amount of certain vitamins and minerals that may not be ideal for your body. It is a lose lose situation.
Yet, 90% of supplement users are taking hard packed, prefabricated toxic supplements. Or, as my daughter stated this week, many of her friends eat the chewy ‘Flintstones’ that are full of toxins and glucose – the number one ingredient and the nutrient responsible for diabetes!
In order to make sure you are getting the most benefit out of your supplement, be sure to look for these key factors – cleanliness, whole food form and bioavailability.
In this day and age, it is vital that we get quality nutrients. Not only to survive, but to maintain and/or regain our optimum health. To do so means, that we all must take some sort of supplement, since our food sources are not as qualitative as they used to be.
We are also more toxic and stressed, which depletes our own reserves daily.
If you begin to use a more effective and healthy supplement, you will begin to notice significant changes in your wellbeing!
One final note on supplements; no amount of supplemental support is going to cure you of a true disease. That is instead, in the realm of natural medicine.
Knowing when you are out of balance and in need of a supplement to rebalance you is vital. As well as, not trying to solve a deeper problem with countless supplements.
My number one suggested supplement that will give you all the vital nutrients you need to survive and repair, right now are these Solarstrips!
If you have been taking a truly qualitative supplement to heal your symptoms or ill health and are not seeing significant results. It may not be the lack of a particular supplement; but the fact that you are suffering from a true disease state that requires natural, law abiding medicine; aka Dynamic Medicine!
True health care requires a complete understanding of what constitutes an imbalance, as opposed to what is a true disease state and not a mere condition.
In other words, we need to stop trying to patch up a serious problem with “duct tape”. We all love duct tape; it may work for a time, but eventually it gives way and the problem returns, often in a worse way!
Knowing when, how and what to use to restore whole health is what Dynamic Medicine can do for you.
If you are unsure and would like some help determining, whether you need supplementation or the use of dynamic medicine, click on the link below and let’s chat.
In true resonant health,
Have a Self Inspiring week!
If you enjoyed this blog post, please share the love with one of the links below.